November, December, February and April are all important tax months to be aware of when it comes to paying property taxes. Some of the more significant dates for California property taxes are as follows:
- Beginning of Fiscal Year
- Assessor Completes local roll and devliers to Auditor
- Delinquent secured and supplemental taxes are transferred to delinquent tax roll and additional penalties add at 1 1/2% per monthy on any unpaid tax amounts, plus $15 redemption fee
- Last day to file assessment appeals
- Original secured property tax bills are mailed out
- First installment secured property taxes due (delinquent 12/11)
- First installment secured property taxes delinquent. A 10% penalty is added as of 5:00 p.m. If delinquent date falls on a weekend or hliday, the delinquent date is the next business day
- Delinquent notices are mailed out for any unpaid first installment secured property taxes
- Lien Date – date for valuation, date taxes attach to property as a lien; applies as of 12:01 a.m.
- Second installment secured property taxes due (delinquent 4/11)
- Second installment secured property taxes delinquent. A 10% penalty plus $10 cost is added as of 5:00 p.m. If delinquent date falls on a weekend or holiday, the delinquent date is the next business day
- End of fiscal year
Remember, Property Taxes are delinquent December 10th if the property is in escrow. Coordinate with your escrow officer in order to pay property taxes in a timely manor.